If you run your own trucking business, you probably have at least one semi truck on the road every day of the week. While these big vehicles are able to haul tons of goods from one place to another, it can be difficult to keep them running at top efficiency if you don’t invest in some repair and maintenance work from time to time. A critical part of this maintenance routine is radiator maintenance, which can be tricky if you aren’t sure what you’re doing or how much it costs to fix or replace your radiator when it’s damaged. Follow along to learn why it is so important to keep your semi truck radiator in tip top shape.
What’s a Radiator and How Does it Work?
When to Service Your Semi Truck Radiator
If you notice any of the following signs, it’s time to take your semi truck radiator in for service:
- If your engine overheats, especially under normal driving conditions, this is a clear sign that your radiator needs service.
- If you notice a leak of any kind, it’s important to take your truck to a mechanic right away as this could be a sign of a serious issue.
- The temperature gauge needle is higher than normal when the engine is running.
- If you notice the low coolant level light comes on often, you may have a coolant leak.
- The radiator cap is missing or damaged.
- If your coolant isn’t a bright yellow, green or red color you may have a contaminant build up in your radiator. A number of things can cause contaminants to build up in your radiator which will cause numerous other issues.
- If your truck takes longer than usual to heat up, this could be due to a problem with the radiator.
- If you notice steam coming from under the hood, this is definitely a sign that something is wrong with the radiator and you should take your truck to be serviced as soon as possible.
What Happens If You Don’t Replace the Radiator
A truck radiator is essential to the proper function of a truck engine. The radiator cools the engine by circulating coolant through it. If the radiator becomes damaged or clogged, it can cause the engine to overheat, which can lead to serious engine damage. In some cases, a damaged radiator can even cause an engine to catch fire. That’s why any signs of trouble with your semi truck’s radiator should be taken seriously and addressed as soon as possible.
Benefits of Replacing Your Radiator When Needed
A well-functioning radiator is key to keeping your semi truck engine cool and running smoothly. Here are a few benefits of replacing your radiator when needed:
- Improved engine performance – A dirty or damaged radiator can cause your engine to overheat, leading to decreased performance.
- Reduced fuel consumption – An overheating engine is less efficient, which means you’ll be using more fuel.
- Longer engine life – Replacing your radiator regularly can help extend the life of your engine by preventing overheating and other damage.
- Fewer repairs – In addition to extending the life of your engine, a good radiator can also help prevent other parts of your truck from breaking down due to overheating.
Hiring an Expert to Replace Your Semi Truck Radiator
Need Help Repairing or Replacing Your Semi Truck Radiator? Call (443) 790-8887 Today!
If you’re in need of radiator service or roadside assistance, look no further than A1 Emergency Roadside Service. We can come to your location and perform repairs quickly and efficiently. Our fleet is ready for service 24 hours a day and we offer a wide range of repairs from bodywork to exhaust systems. Contact us today for more information.